Indulge me


The New York Times' most emailed article today is on the return of indulgences. I know because of the 300 people who forwarded it to me. And rather than hit reply 300 times, let me just say it here. No, I cannot sell you any indulgences.

The Times seems to think that no one under 50 would have a clue what an indulgence is. They forget that a lot of people under 50 saw the movie Dogma. However unless you're a fallen angel trying to get back into heaven by getting a plenary indulgence at the cathedral in Newark, you may not have thought much about them. But they're back. Or more properly, they never went away.

The basic concept of the indulgence is that for the wrong of sin, there must be a just punishment. For instance, you may carelessly shoot off some fireworks and burn down my brand new 34 story hotel. Afterwards you tell me you're sorry. So I forgive you. I may love you. But you still owe me a hotel.

An indulgence is a gift of grace given by the church to alleviate the just punishment that goes with sin. It helps pay for the hotel. So to speak. And just as your friends might chip in to help rebuild my hotel, we can offer our good works to help one another with the punishment due for sin. Because - and this is key - the church has faith that good is always more powerful than evil, and there is always far more good than the wrong done by sin.

There is a very good (and slightly more serious) explanation, citing the catechism among other authorities, at Wikipedia. An even more thorough, though harder to read, explanation is in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

It might be good to study up. Just in case your Lutheran friends are reading the New York Times too. And writing up a few theses to tack on your door tomorrow morning.

No comments:

 
©2009 Lou's Canon | by TNB