. . . and I feel fine

Meanwhile in today's New York Times, Mark C Taylor, chair of religion at Columbia has his own idea of a university in an article titled, "End of the University As We Know It." It's a good read to see how someone is rethinking academia in the light of world changes. Something we could use in the area of religion.

One of my favorite quotes echoes my own thinking about parish life, "The division-of-labor model of separate departments is obsolete and must be replaced with a curriculum structured like a web or complex adaptive network." Replace "departments" with "committees" and "curriculum" with "parish." You get the idea.

I'm convinced that the web is helping us to see the world as it is, a place of interconnections and networks. A web. Duh.

And the faster we learn to minister from this reality, the better we will serve one another. And God.

My other favorite quote from the piece is Taylor quoting himself,
For many years, I have told students, “Do not do what I do; rather, take whatever I have to offer and do with it what I could never imagine doing and then come back and tell me about it.”

Wise words. You'll probably hear them from me someday.

No comments:

 
©2009 Lou's Canon | by TNB